The 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt was always our most preferred deer bullet. The Benoit’s too early on which tells you something. We never lost a deer hit anywhere with that bullet. Dad came and got me once to find his deer for him. I asked him where he shot it and he said, “Right in the middle. Thats all I could see.” Yup, hit right in the middle and it didn’t go 75 yards from where he shot it with his .308 and that bullet. We never recovered one of those bullets either. Always complete penetration with a good size exit wound. 150’s will stop in a deer, but seldom a 165 or 180.

I’ve got that bullet test poster from Handloader Magazine that tested most of the 180 grain .30 caliber bullets and the best one on the page is the 180 grain Remington round nose Core-lokt. It expanded and penetrated well at high velocity not shedding it’s core and with the big gooey lead tip, it expanded well at lower velocity. Round nose bullets don’t get much respect, but that 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt flat out works on deer at woods ranges.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory