If by handmade, you mean a custom knife, I think your price range would be a challenge. Instead, I'd suggest there are still a lot of fine knives being made by well established companies that would fit your needs.

I would encourage you to look for 2 knives instead of one. One with a smaller, more narrow (less than an inch wide) blade under 3" for waterfowl and small game, and one with a little more metal 3-4" long with some belly for gutting/skinning game. And you can do 2 knives and stay under $150 total.

You'll probably get hit by the "knife bug" eventually, so you just as well look at specific purpose knives now rather than general purpose knives that end up in the general purpose drawer somewhere.

There are good general purpose knives so don't abandon that idea, and you will get some good suggestions on here if that's the direction you decide to go. Nothing wrong with that. Most of us started that way too. However, many of us ended up with a bunch of nice knives, each having a specific purpose.

Listen to the advice on here. You chose the right place for help.

Last edited by rd7fox; 12/07/22.