I think every caliber has its place. I bought that 6.5x300 because I wanted a dedicated deer rifle and possibly a few elk. I've only ever killed mulies and whitetails with it as of now. I wanted a 7 stw or a 257 stw but that brass is getting tough to find. Weatherby came out with this 6.5 hotrod and I thought it would be good. And it is. I am a huge fan of a 243 win as I call a ton of coyotes and it's my favorite caliber for song dogs. I have been that guy when a big deer walked out at 300 yards and all I had was my little 243. I got the deer but it took a follow up shot. Shot placement is key I get it. But I think with a cartridge such as a 6.5x300 you need a bullet to open up. I mean I deer is pretty resilient to bullets and astound me on how far they van go mortally wounded but that 6.5 has opened my eyes to power. I have killed a ton with a 6.5-06 and a good old 30-06 but they are just not the same. Not apples to apples. I had a 7 rum that shot 168 vlds and it was hammer time. Dropped 99 percent of deer. I like everything about that 6.5x300, I think it just needs light bullets for deer.

Last edited by Coyote10; 12/08/22.