Originally Posted by grayfox
I realize everything you find gentlemen are telling me about shooting in the field how well I can do etc. etc. I'm looking at this from a reloading position. What sort of accuracy should I strive for to be able to shoot out 400 yards. At what point do I stop trying different powders, changing bullets, changing distance from the lands etc. how good is good enough
I'd say that if you're averaging groups of 1.1-1.2 inches at a hundred yards, your rifle is accurate enough to shoot to 400 yards on big game. But you also have to have confidence in your rifle and your shooting to take 400 yard shots, and that's a personal decision.

I take few shots at game over about 300 yards, although occasionally I shoot further. I killed a nice mule deer buck at around 400 yards this year, but that is the exception for me and I prefer to get closer. In this case I didn't see a way to get closer so I took the shot.

I should mention that I've shot out to 600 yards in matches without a problem, but for me, shooting at animals in the field is different, and I'm much less willing to risk a bad shot in that situation.

Last edited by bowmanh; 12/09/22.