Originally Posted by joken2
None now but I have owned two Mossberg firearms over the years -- a model 472 lever action in 30/30 and a 500 in 20 gauge . The 500 was a older model with single pump guide rail. Didn't keep either very long.

The 500 20 gauge was already well used when I bought it ($50) and turned out to be a real dud. No idea why but for some reason it wouldn't kill a squirrel beyond 10 yards shooting cheaper low brass shells. I had to shoot more expensive high brass shells to kill anything and even then it was still 'IF'-y. Traded it off for something else.

Simply couldn't 'warmup' to the 472, got rid of it and went with a Marlin in 30/30 instead.

I rather like the traveling trigger on the 472/479 better than the Marlin 336, but I dislike the shape of the hammer, as it is taller/higher than the Marlin and can get in the way of some low mounted scopes. A few years back I bought a pair of 472s for the sons of the man who was managing my MILs ranch in CO. I had originally bought a pair of Marlin XS7s in 243 for them, but they wanted lever action saddle carbines and went I came across 2 of the 472s in as new condition I bought them and gave them to the boys. I understand that they tried to kill off every varmint on the ranch, plus a few deer too, before my Wife and BIL sold the ranch and the family moved on.

My 20 gauge 500 with the 24" rifled slug barrel is more accurate than either of my 20 gauge Remongton 870 with rifles barrels, but the 24" barrel is noticeably less handy.