Berger bullets seem to have it's share of "haters". In my mind it's usually a matter of not understanding the limitations they have. I use a 7 SAUM for a lot of my hunting. I'm using a 180 VLDH bullet at 2900 fps. I ALWAYS check the points for clogged tips. Some boxes have had as many as 10% clogged. Either drill those out or use them as practice rounds. Last 3 trips to Africa that rifle has taken well over 30 head of plains game including 3 eland. 1 shot kills on all except 1 eland bull. That was a huge Livingston eland at 75 yds shot on the shoulder. I think he was close to going down when I hit him again. He was significantly bigger than my cape buffalo!
Lately I've been using a 6.5 SS with a 156 gr Berger at 3000 fps. First 8 shots at big game animals resulted in 8 dead animals. Thats pronghorn and deer. Part of the secret to Bergers is to use heavy for caliber bullets. The 156 in the .26. 180 in the .28. 215 or bigger in the .30's Ideally keep the speed under 3000 fps. If you run a 180 gr one in a .30 Nosler at 3200 fps, well splatter at close ranges is likely. A lack of penetration and a lost animal. Are they perfect? No they are not. If we use them as designed then the results will be very satisfactory. One trip to Africa I had 2 different PH's ask what bullet I was using. They were impressed.
Another PH in Tanzania expressed a distrust of Bergers. After a 20 min discussion with me he made the comment that he wouldn't have a problem guiding me while using them.
Bruce