Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
The lever gun I'd love to have would be a 357 Maximum on an 1895 Marlin, throated long to allow long seating of heavies, with the action appropriately lightened without giving up necessary strength. I've an NOE mold which casts a 35 cal LFN at 230-235 grains. Would love to carry a lever gun which could push those to 2k.

I think it would be less work on a 336 than a 1895. I have an old, deceased, friend who started with a 336 in 30-30. He replaced the barrel with a 1894 357 Magnum barrel that was rechambered to 357 Max. He was in the middle of tweaking the internal parts when he passed away. Years ago I shot it as a single shot and it was fun! I recall him saying that if he would have had the throat lengthened then he have loaded heavier (longer) cast bullet and the cartridge would have balanced better on the carrier.
Yes, you're right. A 336 or a Win '94 would be the platform. Don't know what I was thinking. Would be a sweet rig. I wish your friend could have gotten it all together and running!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.