Originally Posted by Cheesy
I didn't even carry my rifle this season other than 'just in case/back up duty' for my 12 year old.

Opening morning, sitting in a double ladder stand, had a buck move in front of us working to our right. My boy is right handed, not very proficient/experienced in moving around, and by the time the buck was out of the brush and in the clear, it was a hard right and behind shot, exactly what a right hander doesn't want. He missed and was pretty upset about it. 4 different bucks that morning that most any of us likely could have had down easily, plus a handful of does. Learning experience for him.

Went back Saturday morning, only saw some does running around from who knows what way out in some brush and never had a shot opportunity.

Friday after school we went. Got to the field about 4:30 (hour and half drive after school ended) and there were 4 does already in it. They 'slowly' spooked out while we got a pair of chairs set up behind an electric pole on the edge of the field. About 20 minutes later I could hear some hooves hit the oak leaves as they were coming back out to the field. I asked if he wanted to shoot a doe or wait for a buck. Boom. 85 yard shot and his season was done. Not a trophy by measuring standards, but a trophy for him anyway.

Smiling after thinking he had missed her because she didn't fall immediately, only to walk about 50 yards into the timber to see her piled up.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Trophy pic with the Walmart $200 700 ADL I found on brickseek a few years ago thanks to the 'fire.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good for the young man, Cheesy!