Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Point was: you can’t cut the tritium off, and your description implied that you couldn’t see the dot in the dark/before the fiber optic had enough light to work….but maybe I just misread that?

FWIW, there are no conditions I’ve ever found where the illuminated portion of the reticle isn’t easily visible….from pitch dark to ultra bright sun….unless something is amiss. I’ve used a 1-4 behind a thermal clip-on a LOT….even works great for that.

What I said was, “A couple of minutes before legal light, I took a good look around and that green dot was visible against anything that I could have shot, though I might have had trouble avoiding branches and other obstructions at the edges of my field of view.”, so either I wasn’t clear enough, or you misread it. No matter.

I agree the dot is usable under all conditions except when I’m in a dark place and the target is in good light. The tritium doesn’t help there, and the FO can’t collect enough to show up. Have yet to have that happen afield, but I don’t hunt from blinds or sheds. In the instance I described, a brighter scope would have made the sticks and other stuff more visible I think, but those conditions only lasted a very few moments until things brightened up somewhat, right about legal light. I’m a big proponent of those scopes, and have two on prime hunting rifles. Might buy more, though I have too many scopes as it is. I wish more of their models had that near-perfect duplex.

What fresh Hell is this?