Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by BWilson
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I strongly recommend against a WC .458 SOCOM barrel. It is not a legit reamer (reverse engineered).

MUCH BETTER OPTIONS/companies if you seek that caliber...

Our chamber is the one that will work with new production unsized Starline cases. P, T & G worked with us to optimize the chamber. Current production cases are larger than Marty's original chamber in a couple areas.

My bitch has always been that Wilson Combat took Marty .458 SOCOM design AND NAME... and built the chamberings WITHOUT Marty's approval.

IF WC had built a modified variation and called it .458 Wilson Combat (or whatever)... I would never have raised the topic here or on .458 Socom Forums.

Not questioning if they shoot well... or if your nuance changes helped/hurt... moreover the lack of respect I see for Marty.

I really don't like being accused of something I didn't do by someone who doesn't know the facts!!!

That said, Marty, Tony and I have always gotten along well.

Here is a portion of an email conversation with Marty from May 16, 2013 when we were trying to get the cartridge submitted to SAAMI for acceptance.

"Attached are the cartridge dimension drawings for the .458 SOCOM as well as the reamer. Again, to avoid the issues that nearly killed the 6.8 SPC, I would recommend staying with the original cartridge dimensions but considering adjusting the reamer dimensions such that we have full cross compatibility with all the rifles and ammunition. Let me know how else I might assist in the SAAMI submission process or if you have any other questions."

Best regards

Marty

I also went back through emails where the standardized chamber dimensions were being discussed with CIP and SAAMI on Dec 9, 2019, this was a comment from Tony:

"I have a bunch of different .458 SOCOM prints and I think we can easily agree on the case dimension area of the print (they are all about the same), but the lead/throat number are all over the place. That is what needs to get sorted out."

Tony Rumore
Tromix

FYI the only difference between a Tromix and WC chamber is the lead/throat area, Tromix is slightly longer. Where this whole mess started was with the dimension of the case/chamber just below the shoulder. Marty's original chamber # is .533", Tromix and WC are at .537" (both min #s), the Starline case # is .536" (max #). As you can see a MAX dimension Starline case with a .536" diameter won't fit into an original MIN dimension chamber of .533" !!!

There is a LOT more historic info in numerous emails between Tony, Marty, CIP, SAAMI and me, but I don't feel these should be shared here....