Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I quit smoking as of 5 minutes from now...Sure hope I can hold to my promises to myself...

With that attitude you simply aren't ready. Quitting is easy once you have the right attitude.

About 30 years ago, while on a love boat cruise to the Mexican Riviera, sitting by the pool one day, I met a man with a huge scar down the front of his chest; the fresh scar was from him being cracked open like a chicken for open-heart surgery. He was traveling with his drop-dead gorgeous daughter who was in her mid-20's.

One night, while half in the bag, playing blackjack and smoking my 40th or 50th cigarette of the day, I saw his daughter across the room; she was talking to friends and lighting up the room. I thought to myself: "Damn, it would be nice to be in love with a beautiful woman again." Then I thought: "If she ever kissed me she would probably throw up from the taste of stale cigarettes." Then I thought: "It would be nice to live long enough to share my life with a beautiful woman again." And I also thought: "My life is worth saving so I could actually have a chance of doing that."

When I went to bed that night I left a nearly full pack of Camels on the nightstand, knowing I could never have another puff, as I would be a smoker again. That next morning we were pulling into Puerto Vallarta and I just left the cigarettes on the nightstand as I left to tour PV. Drinking a glass of tequila after lunch that day, I thought: "God....DAMN a cigarette would be good right now." And I realized that, if I wanted to stay off cigarettes, I HAD to quit drinking. So I did, right then and there.

Though I went back to drinking within a year or so, it was only social drinking, never to the excess I once had. Yet I never again touched tobacco.

Decades later I quit drinking and have been sober for years.

Anyone can quit. You just have to decide that your life is worth saving.

Very well put RiverRider!

I smoke 7 to 10 per day, sure is hard to put the dam things down forever, drinking and smoking go hand and hand.

KB