A few years back I shot an elk with the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond. The rifle is a custom Mauser with a 24" supposed 1 in 12" twist barrel. It never has shot heavier bullets worth spit. The elk ran about 30 yards after the hit and expired. I think that while it worked out just fine, I might go with the 165 gr. Partition should I use the rifle on another elk hunt. My preference would be for either a 180 gr. Accubond or Partition but the rifle won't shoot them.

The load is 56.0 gr. W760, Winchester brass, Winchester WLR primer. According to Winchester's published data that load is maximum and I worked up from five percent below. Velocity is just shy of 2900 FPS in my rifle and accuracy is excellent.

FWIW, the bullet hit in the short ribs and went on ending in the left lung making jello out of the lung. No visible exit and the bullet was not recovered. Probably was buried in what was left of the lung.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE