I used to have a Grohmann #1 original, with stainless blade. It was an early made knife, from the late 1950's. Beautifully designed, but lousy edge retention. Sold it. Perhaps the non-stainless blade ("carbon steel") would hold an edge better, but after calling Grohmann directly, I opted not to get one. The "carbon" blade has about 0.6% carbon. They were guarded about the alloy composition, but based on their comments it was similar to 5160 (alloy often used for axe heads)

Years later, I bought a Canadian Belt knife through eCop on ebay. I can't remember the maker, but it was a USA-made blade. It has 1095 steel (~1.0% carbon), the same alloy used in the Ka-Bar USMC knife. It has a very nice zebra wood handle, and takes a wicked sharp edge. I don't use it now ( go figure), and it just sits in my drawer.

If you are interested, I can send pictures ( PM me with your text number). Comes with a simple slip-in sheath. The sheath is not as nice as the Grohmann's slip in sheath, but it is solid and fully functional.

Price: $44, including shipping to lower 48.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."