Originally Posted by mathman
The main reason I posted was that particular point in the conversation about the statistics centered around 1 moa rifles.

A lot of handloaders for typical hunting rifles would do well to carefully listen to that segment a dozen times or so.

Well, you're right with what I think that you are implying, but I doubt that many will really get the significance of what is being said.

Also, one would have to do a LOT of shooting to show that, if they shot enough, eventually they would have shots that reached the outermost deviation that SD's would show as possible, whether they were working with +/- 1 SD or +/- 3SD.

Many guys will not shoot a given rifle & ammo combination that much in a year............hence they don't believe it, unless they are statistically astute.

I guess pure mathematics aside, which clearly show a given possibility, doesn't necessarily mean that everyone (or situation) will ever display that behavior......................just depends on how many samples you want to collect to use as data points.

MM