We called one in a few years back. I was doing a cow-calf in distress kind of thing hoping to draw in a herd of elk. What we got was about a 350 lb. dark chocolate colored Ursus Americanus.

I guess he figured that calf was in enough distress to make it an easy warm meal. Of course that meant he was focused on my location and all we were armed with was one bow, mine not having an arrow nocked.

My first thought on seeing him was, "really beautiful rug he's wearing", then "I don't have a bear tag" (non-resident tags are too expensive) and finally "he's close enough". The last one was when he hit the 20 yard mark at a fast trot. My partner and I started making noises....mostly yelling "ho bear" and barking like dogs. He skidded to a stop and rocked back like a dog sitting and looked totally confused. We were all camoed up including face paint and we were standing in the shade so I don't know how well he saw us. He sure took off after the intial shock though.

I sure wish I'd have had that tag. I'd have loved to have taken him home. I'm not sure if my beasts would pack a bear but there's only one way to find out.

[Linked Image]