Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I'd have had to work the camera one handed at that distance, I ain't the trusting sort.

Any bear that's close enough to realize you're human and doesn't react the way BW's bear did is a bear that needs close watching of, most likely through sights and not a camera lense. YMMV

Yessiree. I was using the digital display on the back of the camera, rather than the eye viewfinder. That doesn't help hold the camera still, but it did allow me do keep a better eye on the bear. And it partly explains why the pictures are not clearer. I wasn't about to take my eye off him to change the ISO settings and the aperture.

Originally Posted by 1akhunter
watch4bear, bout the perfect sentence to describe bear behavior ime.

I also thought that was an apt comment.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and as I think about this I realize that there is a difference between being afraid of bears and having a healthy respect for them. When you consider what could have happened, I'm wondering if I may have briefly blurred the line between those two things. Maybe in choosing whether to scare the bear off early or have an incredible encounter with one, it's possible that I may have chosen the wrong thing. I'm no Tim Treadwell, but I did believe that I could actually have eased over to the bear and petted him, or at least touched him. Yes, a real dumb thing to do, and I would not seriously consider doing it.

I doubt anyone can determine a bear's intentions, and when approaching as he did, he may have actually been considering whether or not to attack. I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

Several times I did move toward the bear, raise my arms, try to look as big as possible, and speak strongly and confidently. Those actions would not bring me a victory against a bear with hostile intentions, but may cause a bear that has not made up his mind to decide it might not be worth it.

Do I respect black bears? I think I do. Am I afraid of them? Maybe I ought to be more so. I do realize, however, that showing fear (as in backing up or running away) might have resulted in a completely different outcome. I will not show fear to a black bear. (A brownie? I wouldn't be writing this story.)

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt