Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
The 358 is new to me and its use would just be for deer. I see AA2015BR, TAC, Reloader-7, H4895, IMR3031, X-term, IMR4198, and W748 all listed here. I have an ample supply of the 200-gr Win white box ammo, so I am only interested in a pound of one of these powders to play around with. For my use, I don’t see going to more than 200 grains, and preferably lower. I do have a box of the 180-gr TSX’s.

I do have some older AA2460 but it is too slow for the little case. While I got quite good accuracy, it took a compressed load to reach 35 Rem velocities. Which for my purposes isn’t terrible.

Seems I’ve always read that TAC is the powder for the 358. Outside of ordering 1 lb online with the huge hazmat fee, and also the great powder shortages in our area Scheels stores, should any of the above become available, is there agreement on grabbing it? Or, would you wait until your personal favorite showed up?

Should add I prefer a spherical powder for this case, and presume some/many (?) of these are stick powders.

Thanks.
TAC was JB's fav in his excellent .358 article.

I like faster powders with 180 gr class bullets due to powder compression necessary with the slower ones.

Nothing wrong with compressing powder within reason; I just like the faster powders.

I got great groups with RL-7 and read that others have, too.

I'd suggest trying several to see what your gun likes. May end up using what you can find in today's supply chain scenario.

DF