Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I don't care what color if it will bring back a duck .

Your chances are limited with that mutt. It might be great. I'd buy a lab with solid genetics and proven hunt test/field trial ability. That's your best bet, not some mongrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree. I'm not saying that the dogs on the original post are mutts, since they are recognised as a full lab.

But here is the issue. Since the dogs with this color are so rare, the breeder has a very limited number to choose from. For a working dog of any kind the general consensus is to breed best to best.

Of the dozen or so beagles I owned, I've only had one that I wanted more of. I spent 2 years judging male classes to find a suitable male (I only keep females). I judged a male twice who not only won both trials, but completely dominated the pack. The male had also sired several field champions. I drove 14 hours round trip for the breeding. That dog could have been purple and I would have bred to him. The three pups that were trialed did very well, and the others were hunted over and do well in that game.

Much like affirmative action, selecting by color generally doesn't get the best performance.