Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez back in the day I worked for Kmart Sporting goods, sold hundreds of them for $37

I can remember our local Gibson’s Discount Center, and TG&Y selling them for $49 bucks when I was in jr high. I think the Remington Nylon 66 was $59. And the Marlin 39 was like $109. And, of course, ammo for $5 a brick.

I use to mow our famed local Conn Man & LBJ Crony Bill Sol Estes’ yard back then. He’d pay me with a nice crisp fresh $100 bill. So I was n.igger rich when I’d ride my bike to Gibson’s or TG&Y to buy a gun and some Ammo. 😬
Of course, I’d have to get Mom to fill out the paper work and take the gun home.
We didn’t get a K-Mart until I was a sophomore in HS. I remember they had a decent Fishing Dept. I never payed much attention to their Guns they stocked.
Boy do I remember the Gibson's Discount Center near me. They had a good supply of weapons and their prices could not be beat. When they announced closing down the store, firearms were sold 50% off. The line to get in the store was so long that most of the firearms were quickly sold out. Not to worry. My former SIL was getting ready to sell his M60, when I made a passing comment that he should hang on to it. He then offered it to me free of charge to which I accepted. It has a 21" barrel and hold open feature. I guess it's capacity is 18 rounds but not sure, as it's been some time since I loaded and fired it. I do remember that I liked it better than my my 10/22 for off-hand shooting. My SIL claimed he had never cleaned it all the years he owned it. So, I cleaned it up and replaced the recoil buffer. It shoots great and is accurate enough with the brands of 22LR I've tried.