I use both, almost interchangeably. I’ve got a LOT of time behind ARs for speed and accuracy work, and they come on target and point like a shotgun for me. So does a decent bolt gun, which I probably have at least as much time with. Then again, I could be fine with a lever gun, or other semis. I just run the gun I have in hand and don’t sweat the nit picks. Safeties are subconscious to me on either, most of the time. I’ll always double check, but I’ve almost always put a safety back on, before I knew I put it back on or had the conscious intent to. Safety, muzzle, and trigger control were beaten into me both as a child and (later) doing far more athletic and stressful things than hunting. It just carried over well, either way, thankfully.

The main reasons for a choice before I head out? Is the fastest follow up or the more quiet rig suppressed the more important thing? I’ve got ARs almost as light as many bolt guns, but no AR is as quiet suppressed as a bolt gun, unless you turn the gas off.