Originally Posted by JMR40
My 22 F250 has locking hubs with auto engagement. I think I want to delete the auto engagement though because there are times when I want use 4 low without locking the front axle.

I've had manual locking hubs fail too. As long as you use 4X4 on a regular basis to keep everything lubricated automatic hubs do pretty good. The only time I've seen either type fail was when they weren't used for a long time and the lack of lubrication prevented them from locking when needed.

I've owned a 4x4 of some sort since 1976. Back when there were 3 sticks in the floor and manual locking hubs it was easy to use 2wd low range. But they used to put warning labels in the cab warning drivers not to. I watched one person snap a U-Joint doing that. I suppose if you're careful and just need to go slow and aren't trying to pull much weight in 2wd low it would be OK.
With my 85 Suburban with Warn manuals, I would only do it backing into tight or steep places with my trailer hooked up. I'd be surprised if I ever went more than 40' at a time.

Last edited by smarquez; 02/09/23.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.