Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Capable cartridge. Sounds like he may be handicapping it potentially with his scope choice.

Why do you say that? There are a lot of good scope choices for that rifle that have 40mm objectives.
1” tube. Limited elevation travel. If you hunt out west, and you have a wonderfully capable cartridge like the 7RM, why not give yourself the ability to shoot it to its potential? 175’s and 180 high BC’s make it such a gem.

Otherwise, why shoot a 7RM? Get a 6.5 creed, .260, 7-08, and save yourself the recoil punishment and powder burn.

The Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 that the OP mentioned is going on the rifle has 90MOA of elevation travel. That is more than enough for a 7Mag. I also have seen no appreciable difference in a hunting scope between 1" and 30mm tubes.

Ok, fair enough, I stand corrected. That’s a decent amount of travel. Still think there are better choices, but I also suppose there are far worse choices too.

I agree with you, SD, in that why deal with more recoil if you aren't going to make the most of a high performance caliber like the 7mm RM. I own a Tikka 7mm and have worked with 2 others. All were well capable of long range hunting right out of the box. The twist rate isn't ideal; however, I never had any trouble running 175's, even close to sea level. More COAL never hurts, especially on 7mm RM, but that's easy enough to rectify with the Tikkas.

As far as rings, I have used rails, Warnes, and Sportsmatch rings on Tikkas. I used Warne's directly to the integral rail for years with great success. They are very robust, but I have moved away from vertically split rings due to their increased propensity to cause tracking errors from uneven clamping pressure on the tube. I've had great luck with SM rings directly to the integral rail; the main issue with them is limited ring spacing and inability to add inclination if it is required for the set up. As Jordan noted, the Area 419 rail is low and well built, and it offers optimal ring spacing for ER and scope tube support, which goes a long way towards getting the most out of your scope.