Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poodle_Dad
I have 3 tikka rifles with sportsmatch scope rings. I have a few more sets of sportsmatch rings for future projects.

Those sportsmatch rings look great. They don't make them in low though, do they?

BSA:

The SM TO84's will get a scope about as low as it can be on a Tikka. Because they go directly to the rail, the scope will be mounted lower than with tradition mounts and low rings.

Just a thought on rails on a Tikka: Seems I often read statements to the effect of - no rails for me, no matter the circumstances. I understand the reluctance to place a rail on a open action design, and I usually use Burris XTR or Warne's on those types of actions; however, the Tikka is a closed top design, so a rail doesn't effectuate any increases in loading access difficulty.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Eventually I will try a set of those sm rings. I see why guys say those are a no brainer set up. Many of mine wear 20 moa rails, except for the superlite and lite models I have.

I've had great luck with the SM rings. I like the integral rail design on the Tikkas, and if I'm mounting a scope for which the ring spacing works well, I usually run them. The newer Tikkas have a slot for a recoil lug in the rear ring, which helps with being able to spread the rings out a bit to get them more distal on the scope tube. When so equiped, I use a roll pin in the rear ring and move the front ring forward until it hits the flare out in the integral rail groove, and I haven't had any trouble, even with hard kickers.

I would like to the the Tikkas with pic slots on the receiver top like the S20.