"... MS, you like ask to questions. Some denoting disbelief, some mocking, others sarcastic in tone.

Yes, I too have recovered birds with old shot healed over and embedded in the legs and bodies of birds. Stuff happens.

Don't know where you hail from, but in Ontario the 1 1/8th # 8 skeet loads you recommend are available but deemed illegal by the MNR for the ethical harvesting of turkeys. Just saying...

Cheers! ...:

Yeah, that was a bit sarcastic. But by that same token, I have been treated sarcastically for my beliefs in turkey ammo.

Let me back up a bit.
As a young man back in the mid 70's, I did quite a bit of duck hunting with a group. Everybody was shooting #4's.
That's when Remington came out with their "Nitro-Mag" ammo with the shot buffer.
I have no idea how many ducks I shot at, heard the shot hit the duck and the duck kept flying. They may have died somewhere in their flight pattern or at roost days later.
I was getting really frustrated.
I talked to my dad one day and told him what was going on. He told me to try some high velocity #9's!
What the heck! I didn't have anything to lose!
The next hunting trip, I made shots I couldn't believe and ended up top hunter of the day.
Of course, the guys laughed at me and my "high velocity #9's", but I kicked their butts and their Rem Nitro Mag #4's with buffer! 😉

Later, a gunsmith laughed and told me. "Pattetn density kills, not shot size!"
Regardless of shot size, the more shot you put "on target" improves the chances of a mortal pellet strike.

When I started turkey hunting twenty years ago, I brought the #8 shot theory with me.
It hasn't failed me yet.

I gave up on that "poke and hope" shooting method you mentioned. If I can't get a bird within "range", 40 yards max just like somebody else mentioned above, the turkey wins!
That's why it's called "hunting", not "killing"! 😉

I don't live in "Trudeauville", so I'm totally oblivious of Canadian rules and regs! 😐
In Oklahoma, you don't have to use nontoxic shot. You can't use a rifle in spring and you can't use shot bigger than #2's or a gun bigger than a 10 gauge.
You can even use a .410 if you wish! 😉👍

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/13/23.