Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Rick99
That might depend on how many rounds you plan to shoot.

How true, but if proper new factory ammo is impossible to find (ie: they aren't making any 87 grain stuff anymore and likely won't ever), and what ammo is being made (ie: 100 grain stuff that may, or may as likely not, shoot ok in a pre-mil 99) it quickly becomes a matter of taking up handloading even if one is just an occasional shooter/hunter. The alternative is to haunt the gun shows and auction sites for old stocks of .250-3000 ammo, but you'll likely pay collector's prices for it*, and it may not work all that well anyway depending on how well it's been stored for decades. Even if a guy is rich and can afford to go that route with impunity he may well be kidding himself.

*Have you priced "vintage" ammo lately? It's all gone nuts, like everything else it seems.
All true.
I do not reload. I will in year though...
I see a custom ammo niche developing.
Whether a large manufacturer, a hand loader or a custom loader, all need need brass, bullets, primer, powder, etc. which seem to be in short supply as well.

Fairly recently I went the Custom Ammo route. Found someone that did it. Paid the price. Couldn't be happier.
In parallel, I scrounged brass, bullets, dies and coerced a friend reloader nearby to assemble. Couldn't be happier.
I think I got 3 boxes of 87gr. at Savage Fest. Thanks Skidrow!
Couple more boxes on an on-line auction.

Fishing in many holes is good a strategy. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."