For me it's more about the gun and the availability of reloading components than the caliber in the .257--.280 range. For several years my main deer rifle was a Browning BLR in 7mm-08. Killed several deer. I mostly used 120 grain Barnes TSX bullets at around 28-2,900 FPS. Eventually I got tired of the mediocre trigger and redundant safety on those Japanese made BLRs so I sold the rifle (awesome gun otherwise). I decided I absolutely must have a Kimber Montana and the only one I could find happened to be in 6.5 Creed. I loaded 127 grain Barnes LRX bullets to around 2800 FPS. Killed 2 deer with it so far. Performance seemed pretty much identical to the 7mm sub 250 yards. Animals mostly dropped within a few yards with either and I think the most one ever ran was around 50. For better or worse 6.5 Creed has more options in rifles and components these days, but I would have probably taken a 7-08 Montana (or .260 Rem.) over the 6.5C if I could have found one on the used market. I don't have much opportunity or desire to shoot at animals beyond 250 yards, but if I did, I might prefer the Creed.

Last edited by UnderMountain; 02/21/23.