Sometime in the past you wrote a large Bird like a Pheasant will easily fill a shotgun pattern of large shot. Which made a lot of sense. Ever since I have used nothing but 5 or 6's on Pheasants. And often on the smaller stuff also. I understand the theory of filling up the pattern, but have found if I point well, few will find their way thru the swarm, and 5 or 6's are the Campfire hammer of Thor.

My Stepfather tolerated my Mothers farming roots and subsequently their little 8 acre residence had a variety of farm animals. A Pig, Rabbits, Pigmey Goats, some Pheasants, fighting Chickens from her Dads time. They were fun to watch sparing. A Peacock was in the mix along with two horses. Then 4 Guinea hens arrived and soon there were around 20. Nothing came up the driveway without a loud greeting. Often from the top of the barn ridge. Eventually there were more and they decided to branch out further down the road to another residence. Which didn't go over all that well. laugh

The rabbits were for eating, but were allowed the run of the place. I was the one called to do the killing when they wanted a meal, but their eating didn't keep up with the mating. Which caused another problem.The Pigmey Goats eventually got confined when my Stepdad came out and they were on the roof of his car. It was a hoot to visit!!!!!

Last edited by battue; 02/23/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler