Originally Posted by Blackfly1
If you think 20 bore shotshells are scarce, try finding slugs, especially sabots. And if you find them, it will melt your plastic, five to eight dollars each. Some are available on GB, not cheap and plus shipping. Haven't seen any in my LGS for nearly two years and those were not sabots. Of course I live in slug and buckshot only country.

Back in old times when I was working at Gander Mountain, just a few weeks before trout season opener, we got in two aisles of walleye and pike stuff. Walleye and Pike would be closed for two more months. PA's trout opener was almost as big a holiday as buck season opener.
Bfly

I’ve observed the frantic search for fancy sabot slugs on here for a while, re-enforcing my resolve to never get involved. Meanwhile, though it’s been decades since I used them in the field, I still play with Foster and Brenneke smoothbore types from time to time and still believe they serve a purpose for those who still have to use them, or who are blessed with overlapping deer and small game seasons, just a Francis E. Sell described back in the 60s. Just about any slug will be accurate enough for 50 yard shooting, and select examples have been perfectly fine to 100 yards.

Meanwhile, regulations allowing certain rifles in formerly shotgun-only states threaten IMO, the entire shotgun slug market. As more shooters switch over, sales will drop, which will cause a contraction in the availability of both slugs and guns designed to shoot them. Anyone who enjoys using slugs or that hunts in the places that don’t allow the new specialty rifles might want to either stock up or begin to cobble together the gear they need to roll their own. Another option is to switch to an inline or other ML.

What fresh Hell is this?