I actually did the opposite - started with a shotgun then converted to rifle. I like 4x as it gives enough magnification to pick out most obstructions out to 60 yards or so but still has enough field of view to readily find a running deer if necessary.

The key to the latter is to keep both eyes open and shoot as if using a shotgun. The biggest obstacle I have when using a scope on a moving target is the disparity of looking at a target normally with one eye and under magnification with the other. I can handle up to6x without too much problem but more than that and things get confusing. I practice this by pointing an unloaded gun at a light switch or other object keeping both eyes open. I find being close in distance to be more difficult so do my drills indoors rather than outside. When I think I'm pretty good, I'll take a scoped air gun. Into the yard and shoot dandelions, grasshoppers, wasps, and other targets of opportunity. That humbles me initially but later gets to be a matter of pride as I make more shots than I miss. I feel pretty confident I canregularly hit a moving target though seldom need to.