Originally Posted by DirtyThirty06
I've always hunted with rifles since I'm in the rifle zone of Michigan. I always sat in open fields with mostly long shots and typically kill my deer at around 200 yards, although they can range from 40-400 yards. Last year I was doing a late season drive on state land with some friends. They kicked up a nice buck that ran out in front of me at 40 yards. I missed twice with my scoped 30-06 turned all the way down to 4 power. This was a kick to the gut since I'd had a tough season already. I also realized I need a better setup for doing drives like this through brush. My new fancy long range scope was not my friend in this situation and I learned that lesson the hard way. After this experience I did what I normally do and figured out how I could remedy the problem in the most extreme fashion. I dug out some ancient buckshot of unknown origins I had tucked away in my pile of miscellaneous old ammo. Since I've never shot a deer with a shotgun, the best gun I could think of to put the buckshot through was my Remington 887 pump that I use for waterfowl (don't ever buy an 887, mine is garbage but it's what I got). I carried this combo back to the same state land I'd failed on. The spot where we'd jumped the buck before is a surprisingly short distance from the intersection of two main roads. You can see passing cars from the bedding area. I worked my way in from downwind and sure enough jumped 5 deer in the same spot, but couldn't see antlers and had no shot opportunity. I stalked around a bit longer before heading to another piece of state land that I know holds deer. This spot requires a stream crossing that probably contributes to it's consistent deer holding qualities. I made a loop through the area, which is also very close to a main road. As I came up to a low lying, open area, a doe jumped up on the other side about 60 yards away. My grouse hunting instincts took over as I quickly shouldered the shotgun and let loose on two shots, leading the running deer as I would on feathered upland critters. After the shots, I heard and saw nothing. I reloaded and struck out toward the last spot I'd seen the deer. I heard a faint rustling and took off running. When I crested the far side of the low, wet area, I saw the doe laying stone dead! Not only was this the first deer I've ever taken with a shotgun, but also my first deer with factory loaded ammunition, and my first deer on state land. Three firsts all at once! I was elated to have this doe and was as excited as I would normally get with a buck!

After my shotgun success, I again reacted in an extreme manner by ordering 9 boxes of buckshot. My plan for next year is to tromp around all over the place on state land with shotgun in hand. This is a far cry from the last 22 years of sitting in a blind on a private land agricultural fields. I'll still sit the fields on opening day, and with my kids, but I can't wait to get more active in my hunting pursuits. I plan to keep my ventures between the 10am and 3pm time frame so as to not disturb anyone else who may go out for a peaceful morning or evening sit.

Has anyone else become a shotgun convert so late in the game like I have?

Buckshot works well out to 50 yards or so given all is good.

Missing a buck at 40 running with 4X is not the fault of the gun though. Its fault of the shooter. 40 yards at 4X is going to be no problem.. Actually one could probably not even see through the scope at that range or a bit less and still easily kill. Both eyes ope and swing and pull. On 9X it would be an issue.
I used to have a 6x fixed on a shotgun, just to become proficient. Shot doves with it.

Cross training. No one seems to do that these days.

Enjoy the buckshot but don't push the range on it.

FWIW we used to be able to find nickel plated #4 buck in 3 or 3.5 inch 12 gauge. That was pretty reliable to 50 or 55 yards every last time...pattern check and you should be good. Never assume its going to pattern or hit where you are looking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....