You guys are funny as hell, bringing all those NRA rules and such into what is supposed to be a "hillbilly" type match. Let's re-read the OP:

Originally Posted by cs2blue
My local gun club has ground hog shoots that are really a hillbilly version of Bench rest competitions. I am toying with giving the sporter /hunting rifle class a try. Weight limit is 10.5 lbs . Ranges of 100,200.300 yards Fives shots each. I am looking at a Ruger American Varmint, 223 or 6mm Creedmoor. Factory ammo abounds for both and hand loading is doable. Any advice advice/thoughts?

Now, you noticed the OP has not responded much after all the bs you guys spew about NRA this and rules that. I've shot a lot of these types of matches. Generally held by small clubs. They are intended to get people out shooting. Winning something, like a Turkey, ham, money is just the icing on the cake and quite alluring. You have all types of people at these shoots. Often times you'll have a master class shooter or 2 show up from the big cities. We see it at my club in Washington quite a bit. I'll generally not pull out my best rifles in these types of shoots, until the master class shooters come out of the woodworks, then the rules for me change. The reason you saw 4 certificates for Turkeys on the table in one of the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. There were only 6 turkeys being given away that year and I would have felt like an azz, taking all of them. I learned quite a while ago, when shooting for money and prizes in trap shoots, that you have to learn to sandbag on occasion. Keep it fun, let people shoot and only pull out the good stuff when you need/have to. That's my take on this thread..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA