Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am sure that is correct for some, if not many.
For others, their own pressure to do better is all that they need to motivate themselves to improve. I guess that could be considered self competition, if a guy wants to think about it that way.

Different people get motivated differently.
I think the pressure he is talking about goes beyond the psychological motivation to practice, and refers more to the adrenaline-packed “fight or flight” response that comes with time pressure, an audience, and competition. IME, it’s very real, and closely approximates the moment-of-truth feeling of finally finding the game animal that you’ve been looking for, and having to make the shot in limited time.

That is exactly the pressure he is referring to, and I am sure for a lot of people that external pressure does help them improve in many, many ways and for many reasons.

It just isn’t for me though. I highly suspect I’d get bored and unmotivated if in a competitive match, and just wouldn’t care. All I’d want to do is leave and go do something more enjoyable, without a lot of people watching.
👍

Gotcha, Ted. Different strokes for different folks. It’s just another form of training/practice.