Mr. Igloo: I've hunted Alaska now 5 times: 3 on Kodiak Island and have only used 2 different wood stocked-blue steel rifles. Contrary to what you read, given proper pre-hunt prep, and in-field care, these rifles work just fine. This is the prep I do: put several coats of wood finish INSIDE the stock to prevent moisture affecting that wood IF any gets inside. Prior to putting the barrelled action back in the stock, I use RIG or Corrosion X to coat all the metal BELOW the stock line. Once the stock and metal are re-assembled, I use electrical tape all along the barrel channel, forend, and muzzle to hopefully keep all water and moisture out. On my hunt last spring, I used Johnson's Paste wax on the outside of the stock. The Kodiak hunts are 10 days long: each night before getting in the sleeping bag, I run a bore snake thru the bore and then re-tape the end of the barrel even though I haven't taken any shots.

When I come home from these hunts, I always dis-assemble to check the inside: I've never seen any indication of moisture issues. I don't doubt that stainless- synthetic is superior for nasty weather, but it is NOT necessary. Remember, wood and blued steel have worked well for many, many years even in the harshest places like Kodiak. I prefer the rifles I use in Alaska so don't want to buy replacements. Hope this helps. Good Luck.