Originally Posted by Windfall
After having my wood stocked .308 poi change 10” from getting soaked in an opening day rain, I decided that painted stainless/ synthetic was the best way to go. Condensation from bringing the rifle inside at night and freezing it the next day has saved lots of deer. It also took out the battery compartment of my winter varmint lighted reticle scope. We usually kept our rifles in the locked vehicles over night in deer camp.

Windfall, I had similar with my old Model 88 Winchester. Huge point of impact difference from wet to dry seasons. By the time I had removed enough wood from the barrel channel in the stock….it looked like it was ready to lay down a sewer pipe there!

When I had what would be my “do it all” only hunting rifle built……I got it as weather proof as could be done back in the day! My only regret….if I had waited 4 years, Winchester would have their Model 70 available in SS. I would now have a SS action! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024