I've only been to Alaska 3 times, and the last time was over about 15 years ago, so my experience is limited and somewhat dated but I can tell you there are Grizzly or coastal or whatever you want to call them bears on the peninsula. I saw a kill site near Clam Gulch just off the Sterling Highway that looked like the moose was blown up with a grenade. I also was warned by a local another time about one in the area when I was hiking in the pre dawn darkness to a fishing hole to catch the rising tide for Kings. The locals will call each other when one is spotted in the area to give warnings. Met a guy that scared one off that was going for one of his pigs, so yeah they are there. You also have to respect the cow moose that are about to drop calves too. They can be mean biatches if you corner one and don't give them a respectful amount of room.

I spent most of my time between Soldatna and Homer with side trips to Seward up around Turnagain Arm and one time all the way north past Anchorage up to Denali. I've never gone that early in the season so I can't comment on first hand fishing opportunities but I would guess that Halibut fishing would be good just about anytime. Kings come in a little later if I remember correctly.

I'm sure others can give you better information, especially someone local. If you can bring a firearm, you should.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark