Jeff,

If you like to fish, when I was there I was told about a lake called "Elephant" lake just north of Kasilof. The back story was that it was on native land and that it had not been open to fishing for a long time. Due to some agreement with the state, the lake became open to fish. It was close but remote at the same time if that makes sense. My son and I found it and had one of the best fishing days of the trip. We caught over 20 landlocked silvers on spoons and spinners. I remember that we started out with trout sized lures and it was slow, when we upsized to bigger spoons and Muskie sized Mepps the action was hot.

It was a rough road for the last few miles. We had to ride the tops of ruts on a muddy dirt track. You also would do well to have waders, there wasn't much of an edge. It was very picturesque. We had moose walking around eating the vegetation in the water within a couple hundred yards and the only noise was from the loons that seemed to be everywhere. We went armed because this was one of the places that we were warned a bear was recently seen.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark