Different thread got me pondering...

What does your state charge for non resident deer tags (whitetail). Are they OTC or are preference points/draws applicable? Do they whack you for a general hunting license and habitat fund charges as well as the tag itself?

WI is $160 for a gun deer or archery license. They've got a "First Time Buyer" non-res gun deer or archery now for $79.75 (also available to persons that haven't purchased a non res tag for the previous 10 years). Under 12 non res is $7. Non res student I believe is $24. No preference points. No general license required. No extra habitat fee.

Seems compared to other states (looking at you Iowa) and western states WI is practically giving tags away.....

Fair? Not Fair? Discuss.

*Personally I'd like to see WI start to charge non resident purchasers their own state of residence's non-res fees.

For instance - IA preference points are $60.50 (say it takes 5 points or better to have a good chance to draw). Non resident hunting license is $131. Habitat fee is $15. Actual tag is $498 for 1 either sex and and antlerless. SOOOO, IA resident wants a deer license in WI go ahead and buy it OTC - that'll be $946.50, you get one either sex and one anterlerless tag, and you're not eligible to purchase another for 5 years.