several years ago i bought an older Remington700 mountain rifle in 30-06. i finally got around to trying to work up a load for it for a possible moose hunt. After trying 180 hornady, partitions, accubond and tsx it has shown a definite reoccurring pattern. several groups have two bullets touching or nearly touching and a third thrown out about 1-1.5”. The “thrown” bullet is not showing a pattern in that it may go to 2 o’clock or 9oclock or anywhere else. The stock has had the “hump” removed. Action screws are tight. Rings and bases are tight. Scope is a 3-9 leupold that I’ve had for years and never shown any issues. I’ve only used Norma URP and H4350. I’ve tried starting loads to max in 1 grain incrimants. I’ve tried close to the lands to well off the lands.

I’ve never fully bedded a barrel….. but I’m thinking of trying that. I know Mel Forbes does that with all of his rifles and they have a very good reputation for shooting very well.

The stock is the factory wood Remington mountain rifle stock. I have not bedded the action.

Any input or suggestions appreciated

Ben