Originally Posted by wyo1895
Thanks, I've studied many engraved 1899's in the last few years and can see subtle things about the engraving that make me sure it's not Tue.
It's a really cool unique rifle. I've wanted a D engraved 1899 for years and have never been able to afford one when they came up for sale.
From the John Spittler thread...
Originally Posted by Calhoun
So he might have bought the gun and engraved it on his own time, like Tue did with the Enoch Tue and King guns. Based off the D engraving patterns from Savage.
Since the letter info per Joe includes "t/d, pistol grip, fancy wood", but not engraving I would tend to agree that it was engraved afterwards.
Comparing the engraving against 2 similar engraved rifles in David's book and one can see subtle differences. Particularly in the layout of the E scenes and some detail areas.
Tue was a master of duplication and stylistic differences aside, his layouts were spot on from rifle to rifle.
This rifle has a similar feel to me as does the King rifle which was recorded as shipped to W.I. King. The King rifle too causes debate as to whether or not King engraved it as his family claims or if another(s) were involved.
The moose on this rifle looks eerily similar to the King rifle was was made 2-3 years earlier.
Interesting rifle and as previously said, one of a kind.

"Every day above ground is a good day."