Originally Posted by johno
Ive decided to stick with the 150grn SST but like cases for the 300 sav there are none in Australia so I will have to get a mate to post a couple of boxes over or maybe go speer hot core. There just isnt the demand for the 300 sav components here a great shame

Johno

Hey is Woodleigh back in business yet? Their 225 round nose is now my go to bullet in my 358 Winchester and I am running low.

Originally Posted by JoeMartin
AND, I never shot a deer on the shoulder again. I don't blame the Bullitt for my bad placement.

I'm not going to argue about the importance of bullet placement. It's a great skill to learn and hold on to, especially since it entails the ability to shoot well and exhibit patience (an underrated skill for hunters!). BUT, with deer, some cartridges need less "finesse" so to speak. For instance, my 35 Whelen, using a good 250 grain bullet, can shoot through an entire whitetail from any angle. Now, by "any angle", I mean the the bullet can hit the vitals from any angle. I would never punch one through the gut.

But I once took a nice PA buck that was standing looking straight away from me at about 70 yards. He was on a slight up angle, so the top of his body at his shoulders was higher then his butt. I simply aimed at the spot where the tail meets the body. The 250 grain broke his pelvis, went over the gut, hitting the top of the liver and proceeded through the heart lung region and out the front base of the neck. He might as well have been hit with Thor's Hammer.

That is the kind of performance I expect out of my 358 as well, maybe a little less but with whitetail, plenty enough.

Would I have attempted that shot with a 250 Savage, or any 25 caliber using 100 grain anything...................HECK NO!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.