Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by captjohn
Ok not a rimfire guy, other than dispatch a animal in a trap, squirrels, and one coyote that was my only thing i shot with a 22 mag ( Savage plastic stock wonder) I am in the market for a real 22 mag just to have for nuisance control and shoot for the hell of it. The savage i have is really accurate, threaded for my noise reducer, but the action is like standing next to a rock crusher when you run it - what is the best "real" 22 mag rifle - old Rugers? I have even looked at the lever actions before? Not trying to hijack the thread but not a rimfire guy as of yet. Thanks!
Marlin has always made good 22 WMR rifles

Always thought one of their SS laminate models with the tube magazine would be the schizzle for a utility gun. Don’t care at all for the ones with the dangly box mags.
I've had one of the ones with the dangly box mags since 1990. I also have four flush fit {very close anyway} 4 round magazines for it. It shoots very well for a .22 magnum, being a solid MOA peformer with ammo it likes and making it the most accurate of a dozen or so .22 mags I've owned. I glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel, recut the muzzle to a recessed target crown, reduced sear engagement, polished the mating surfaces, installed a lighter trigger spring and an ovetravel adjustment screw. The trigger breaks at 2.5 lbs with zero creep or overtravel. I don't know why anybody would think a tube magazine hanging off the barrel would be an accuracy enhancer or make it more convenient as a utility gun but it seems to be a common idea. I've owned dozens of rimfire rifles with both tube and detachable magzines and have always found the detechables more convenient.