Originally Posted by bearbacker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by bearbacker
I have enjoyed this thread immensely, as I have a 250-3000 and believe much of what was said here has some application to the old Savage cartridge. Mine is a Ruger M77RSI with a 20 inch barrel (Mannlicher stock) and I have to believe it can handle the 65000 pressure, same as the 6mm Rem and .270. I'm not looking to hotrod it necessarily, but there must be some performance potential to be accessed safely between the 48000 SAAMI standard and the 65000. Factory ammo is hard to come by and the Remington is PSP, NOT Core-lokt. Not sure if Winchester loads it any more. I've only seen one box of Hornady Custom ammo for sale in the last five years and they wanted mucho dinero for for that, so I decided they didn't really want to sell it and left it there.

Fortunately, I have 500 pieces of new Remington brass acquired at a gun show several years ago. Unfortunately, Hornady has discontinued the 100 gr. Interlock .257 component bullets, though that's exactly what they load in their Custom ammo and I just have a hunch that could be a 'perfect' bullet for the .250-3000.

Hornady 115-117gr .257 IL bullets seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap, but I wonder if they were designed for 25-06 and Weatherby velocities. I also wonder if the Savage would spin them fast enough to stabilize. Has anyone here loaded the heavier bullets in the Savage? What was your experience with them?

I'm also not concerned about making it a dinosaur slayer. It's a dandy little deer stand rifle but if I had a chance to hunt something big (Nilgai? Elk?) I would just take my 7mm-08, 30-06, .270 or 7 Mag. I also have a .260 Mountain Rifle that punches above its weight with 140 Nosler Partitions...you get the idea.

Ruger 77 RSIs would probably balance better if they had 20" barrels.

You're probably right; it may be an 18" or so. I haven't spent a lot of time measuring that barrel. It's probably my Custom Shop Model 7 with the laminated Mannlicher stock that has the 20". I have met a few guys who claim they like the balance of the long action RSI a bit better as well.

I'm one of those who thinks that the long actions 77 and Hawkeye RSIs balance a little better than the comparable short actions, as do the 20" Remington 7 MS, and every Husqvarna with a Mannlicher-style stock that I've ever held.