Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
John,

Agreed, H&BW is a great read and, for a JOC fan, a must read to better understand the events that shaped the man. I didn't know what had happened to his son, Jerry, until I read H&BW, I just knew that JOC continued to write about his other son, Bradford, but Jerry just disappeared.

Age wise, JOC, who was born in 1902, and EK, who was born in 1899, were about as contemporary as they could have been, having grown up and lived through the same eras of World events. I kind of think of young JOC as more of a suburban kid and young EK as a rural ranch kid, each of them shaped by their different environments.

Elmer wasn't educated and Jack was

True, but getting an education is often a choice in addition to being a circumstance and not having a formal education was not as much of an impediment to achievement then as it can be now.

According to H&BW, JOC's maternal Grandfather was quite affluent, but his affluence doesn't seem to have been shared with JOC's Mother to any great degree. JOC's Father doesn't seem to have been much of a presence in or influence on his life.