With the hunting I do, I'm generally not zooming in and out trying to pick some optimal level of magnification. Single-digit magnification is almost always more than adequate simply because I don't encounter much wide open space. The variable scopes that I do have max out at what today is probably considered moderate values of 8x, 9x, 10x & 12x.

So I get a lot of good usage out of my Leupold Big Bore 3x20, FX-3 6x42, Meopta R2 8x56 RD, a Malcolm 6x for my 1885 primitive setup & then a pair of older Weaver & Tasco 4x32's in excellent condition. Whenever I get a new rifle, I generally have a good idea of what it's intended usage is going to be & I always consider a fixed scope as my first option. That choice would be easier to make if the fixed options were more abundant because I do like them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with scopes that have wide zoom ranges, lots of dials & busy reticles for the shooters who are skilled enough to use them properly or take demanding long-range shots. For me, it injects a level of complexity that doesn't translate into value for the lower requirements of the tasks I'm trying to accomplish. I prefer simplicity because it works better for me.