Originally Posted by Earlyagain
There's likely a lot of lessons to be learned from this story. But the story isn't finished yet, and the transpired facts remain incomplete.

Some of the lessons can also be personal. Some people may opt to leave the cover of their home's interior to protect.their property. I don't begrudge them that, or claim to know the legalities. I'm not inclined to charge outside into unknown danger unless a family member is in danger out there. Even then my approach is at least hoped and planned to be discreet from an unanticipated direction. I often observe suspicious things outside from unanticipated locations as it's already part of my MO.. JMO but I think a great deal of self defense can take place without the application of force. My best to the victim and his family. It's unfortunate he didn't remain as silent as possible in the immediate aftermath.
A very thoughtful and intelligent comment, sir.

The security video shows a lot more than the printed story provides. For instance, after leaving the relative safety of his house to challenge the thieves, certainly not inappropriate for someone with some backbone, he takes concealment (and likely good cover) behind an auto in the driveway when the shooting starts. However, he then abandons that cover to advance on the crooks, appearing to unnecessarily go on the offensive, inconsistent with an act of self-defense.

You’re absolutely correct in observing that all the potential facts may not yet be known, though the provided facts are sufficient for this discussion. An official prosecutorial investigation into this matter should remain ongoing throughout the judicial process, including during trial, as things could change dramatically upon discovery of unforeseen evidence.

One potential fact which could prove troublesome, is the possibility that perhaps an elderly woman (not jwp475), who lives alone across the street, has not yet been discovered dead in her bed by concerned relatives who hadn’t heard from her in a while.

Every day’s an adventure.