Originally Posted by AKwolverine
“Many have heard the story of the duck hunter who was stuck in the mud on either Knik or Turnagain arm, in the 1960s or 1970s, depending on who tells it, and was pulled in half by a helicopter, leaving the lower half of his body in the mud. Some locals remember the incident vividly. There is no evidence it ever happened, but the story has become an Alaska legend.”

https://akfatal.net/Dickison.htm

I'll shed some light on this. In the 70's my partner and myself (Me a very minority share) Started and owned "EAT-ME SUB SHOPS" The manager of the downtown shop was taking a break and visiting us in the shop, it was slow time midafternoon. When in walked her husband, looking sickly. He told us the rescue mission you referred to. He was in the back of the helicopter when they pulled the upper half of him onboard.

Another event. Upper Cook Inlet, Guy was waterfowl hunting with some type of shotgun (He was stuck in the mud) he removed the barrel so as to breathe through it, he died.

There have been many in my 54 years here. Less than two weeks ago the GIRDWOOD Fire & Rescue saved a guy at Twenty Mile Creek.

By the way I live in the Hope/Sunrise community.

Last edited by AGL4now; 05/22/23.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).