Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Excellent post JeffA.

“Quicksand”, TA mudflats, etc ALL adhere to the same principle of physics as the others, it is a supersaturated, fine substrate that transforms based upon water content, the forces of physics as it relates to the “vacuum” are no different just because it’s in Alaska. TA is most definitely a dangerous place and it can “grab” you faster but if you understand that hydrodynamics and the physical properties of the buoyancy of the human body apply in the “magical Alaskan mud” as it does everywhere else in the world then use that to your benefit if you get stuck……..STAY OFF THOSE MUDFLATS!

I’ve taken enough classes, received enough certifications and responded to enough accidents to know that there isn’t something special about TA glacial silt……before someone wants to regurgitate some bullshit they think makes it special I’ll trust my certifications, licenses, training (including from Anchorage FD trainers) regarding swift water rescue, SCUBA rescue, Marine Patrol….as well as REAL LIFE experience dealing with stuck individuals in many “rescues”. TA has huge tides and fine mud but that doesn’t negate the scientific forces at play and render it magic mud! That’s as polite as I’ll be when a know-it-all wants to spread bullshit by denying FACTS! Everything in my previous post regarding A STUCK INDIVIDUAL APPLIES if you’re stuck.

It’s the tide (or exposure) that kills you not the special magical TA mud. 😉

Sorry, did not mean to twist your thong.

I am not going to fall back on anything but facts and will simply state TA glacial mud is different in many ways as wolverine's post states. Sticking more appendages in the mud as you sprawl does not work. The increased agitation just sinks you faster.

I have spent significant time out there on the mud flats with individuals engaged in figuring out the science.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.