Originally Posted by JeffA
............ He had some sorta floating tackle box on a tether that was tied to his waist.
He pulled the tackle box in close to him and was able to get both his arms over it and began forcing it under his chest.

It gave him just enough buoyancy that he stopped sinking and was able to start gaining ground with his efforts to free his legs.........

In my near drowning briefly described above, my truck broke through the ice, and I went to the bottom of the lake (45' down) trapped in the cab. There were things in the bed of my truck that floated when the truck sank. One of those items was a 5 gallon half full propane tank that was to fuel my ice fishing tent heater. When I finally escaped the cab of the truck and swam back up to the hole in the ice, I was able to use the floating propane tank as a support in my effort to get out of the water and back on the ice. Took about 10 minutes to work my way out of the water. If I'd had no propane tank, I don't think I would have been able to extricate myself.

NRA Life Endowment Member