I have long been interested in owning a Volquartsen rifle as their owners sing high praises. Also I’m always down to add another rimfire to the herd..

I picked up a used 17 a bit back that was priced right and in great shape. Mounted a scope and took it to the range a few weeks ago. I was getting some light primer strikes and it seemed the trigger was “gummy” so I took it home and completely cleaned the whole rifle including pulling several patches down the bbl.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Put it away knowing it was coming to the hills next weekend to get wrung out

Shot it a bit with several different types of ammo but it was still giving me trouble so I frustratedly tossed it back in the truck. It would fire, eject and feed a new round just fine but it was not re-cocking

Anyway pulled it out the next day and tried again. Loaded up the magazine with CCI 17gr and after about round 4 or 5 all hell broke loose. Loud bang and flash and stinging [bleep] blasted me in the face.

After I said wtf and made sure I was still pretty I noticed it had blown the magazine apart and out of the gun. Buddy shooting next to me said wtf was that and I said I’m not sure sure but I think not was the sound of “I told you so”

I picked a few chunks out of my eyebrow and ear and went and had a shot of whisky to calm myself

I picked up some of the brass I could find and if you look closely from left to right you can see where the rounds below all exhibit some degree of head separation and the last in line being the case that gave up the ghost

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..