I think Bison have a lot in common with Rough Grouse. After going out in some places that hadn't been hunted for a long time, I amazed another hunter as I shot one grouse after another as they sat on the ground - his comment "And they call them the wily Rough Grouse?!"

We went back a few weeks later, and the tire tracks and the shell cases showed they had in fact, been hunted in the interim. This time, they spooked at a twig braking, and were taking off when we were 50 yards away, his new comment was "NOW, I see why they call them the wily Rough Grouse!!!"

I toured Antelope Island - and those Bison are as tame as any cow, or the numerous Bison I took pictures of in Yellowstone.

Canada's Wood Bison (and the Plains-Wood crosses in B.C.) are truly WILD!

If they smell you - and a herd can do that when you are still many hundred yards away, or see you, or hear you, they WILL stampede away into the thick stuff - and your hunt is over. They are as wily and wild as any Whitetail or any Elk.

The difference?

These Bison I speak of - never see a man - unless he's hunting them. They understand, like the heavily hunted grouse, that man is bad news, and that they'd best be moving out if they want to survive.

To equate Bison that see people on a regular basis, with wild Bison, is to equate farmed Fallow Deer with Whitetail deer that live in areas where they are heavily hunted.

In short - there is NO comparison.

Want to HUNT Bison?

Come to Canada.

Here's a couple of nice Yellowstone bulls I photographed:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."